Can't locate public key or pubring.gpg

Atom 'Smasher' atom at suspicious.org
Fri Jul 30 05:39:15 CEST 2004

> I compiled successfully gnupg-1.2.5.tar.gz. I followed
> the instructions on the gnupg handbook from generating
> a new key pair to generating a revocation certificate
> which all worked fine.
>
> However, when I went on to the section exchanging keys
> and exporting public key I could not get any
> improvement.
>
> If I do the command: # gpg --list-keys, I get only pub
> and sub. I don't see anything in the output:
> pubring.gpg.
>
> Did I do something wrong during the compile though I
> throught everything was fine? I could not find the
> public key so that I could export it or copy it to my
> windows machine.
>
> Any tips would be highly appreciated. Thanks in
> advance.
==========================

i'm assuming that you have a linux or unix type machine...

in the above command, the prompt is a pound sign. are you running this as
root? off topic, but it's usually best to avoid running things as root
unless you have to.

anyway, what happens if you do:
 	gpg --list-keys
or:
 	gpg -a --export

reading between the lines, it seems that you might be confused about
exporting keys and listing keys... if you run the command above, it might
make more sense. if it doesn't make more sense then let us know what error
messages you get.

  	...atom

  PGP key - http://atom.smasher.org/pgp.txt
  762A 3B98 A3C3 96C9 C6B7 582A B88D 52E4 D9F5 7808

 	"If someone created a database of all primes, won't he be
 	 able to use that database to break public-key algorithms?
 	 Yes, but he can't do it. If you could store one gigabyte
 	 of information on a drive weighing one gram, then a list
 	 of just the 512-bit primes would weigh so much that it
 	 would exceed the Chandrasekhar limit and collapse into a
 	 black hole... so you couldn't retrieve the data anyway"
 		-- Bruce Schneier, Applied Cryptography