Duplicated User IDs arisen

Neil Williams linux at codehelp.co.uk
Wed Jun 16 10:56:17 CEST 2004

On Wednesday 16 June 2004 1:09, Christoph Probst wrote:
> As I checked what has happen I found all User IDs doubled
> on the keyservers (e.g. wwwkeys.de.pgp.net). Locally nothing
> changed as gnupg always merged the uids.

Looks like that keyserver is broken. Use a up to date keyserver:
http://keyserver.kjsl.com:11371/pks/lookup?op=vindex&fingerprint=on&search=0x2A623F72

Or use subkeys.pgp.net

neil at garfield:~$ gpg --recv-key 0x2A623F72
gpg: key 2A623F72: public key "Christoph Probst " imported
gpg: Total number processed: 1
gpg:               imported: 1
neil at garfield:~$ gpg --list-key 0x2A623F72
pub  1024D/2A623F72 2003-11-17 Christoph Probst
uid                            Christoph Probst
uid                            Christoph Probst
sub  2048g/7F5A2741 2003-11-17 [expires: 2008-11-15]

Only two UID's imported.

> I tried to get rid of this duplicated message by deleting the
> public key locally and receiving it again:

Repeat that using a working keyserver.

> You can easily see the problem on any

broken

> keyserver:
>

> No, I did not create new UIDs and cannot imagine what I could
> have done wrong.

I'd say this is all the keyserver's doing.

> Someone mentioned a bug in an old keyserver software. Can anyone give
> me a hint what to do to remove the doubles

The doubles only exist on the broken keyserver - repeat the process of
deleting and receiving using a working keyserver and all should work. There's
nothing you can do about the bad keyserver except to ignore it.

> and how to avoid the
> problem in future.

Tell everyone you know not to use old keyservers and why.

> Just imagine it would happen to you key ...

It probably has but I'd never notice and if anyone complains, it's simple to
point them towards a better keyserver.

--

Neil Williams