Gpg 1.2.4 with The Bat 2.11 error

Neil Williams linux at codehelp.co.uk
Wed Jun 30 20:17:34 CEST 2004

On Saturday 12 June 2004 6:26, omn wrote:
> I'm a newbie to gpg.

Please send your key to a keyserver - there's no point signing emails if the
reader cannot verify the signature by downloading your public key.
gpg --keyserver subkeys.pgp.net --send-key 0x29D7378D

> gpg: mnman at pd.jaring.my: skipped: public key already present

So you have this as the default key, that's OK.
> encrypt-to 0x0F8CFE9629D7378D
> default-key 0x0F8CFE9629D7378D

It just means that you don't need to specify -r 29D7378D when you encrypt to
anyone else.

> gpg: D6506963: There is no indication that this key really belongs to the
> owner

You haven't signed this key with 0x29D7378D so gpg can't verify that this is
the key that you say it is. (I can tell that because D6506963 is on the
keyservers.)

IF you have verified the fingerprint with the user of D6506963, and checked
the email address and photo ID, then sign the key and you'll be able to
encrypt. Read about keysigning before making a public declaration that you
have personally verified D6506963 by signing it.
http://www.dclug.org.uk/linux_doc/gnupgsign.html

> I could only sign & encrypt to myself.

Because only your own key is trusted so far.

> What could be the source of error?

Lack of trust in the other key.

--

Neil Williams