Removing AES

David Shaw dshaw at jabberwocky.com
Sat Mar 6 12:29:03 CET 2004

On Wed, Mar 03, 2004 at 03:31:27PM -0500, Adam Pavelec wrote:
> On Tuesday, February 10, 2004 12:28 PM [GMT-5=EST], David Shaw
> <dshaw at jabberwocky.com> wrote:
>
> > Interesting.  I've heard what I thought was every possible
> > variation on the "this product won't handle files from that
> > product because of suchandsuch preference" problem, and
> > it's always turned out to be a misunderstanding of the
> > problem.  This might just be the first time it's real.
>
> If it really is, I will definitely need your assistance debugging it
> all.
>
> > That they cannot use GnuPG *or* PGP 8 generated keys is
> > interesting. PGP 7.0.1 does support AES (it was the first
> > version to do so).  I wonder if there is something else
> > going on (are they using PGP 7.0.1 straight or via the SDK,
> > etc).
>
> Unfortunately, the other party is not too willing to discuss how their
> system is configured, so the information I have from them is rather
> limited.

I'm afraid I can't help then.  What this person you are working with
is claiming would be a pretty substantial breakdown of the OpenPGP
protocol or a bug in any of several different products.  Without any
evidence or supporting information whatsoever, there is nothing I can
do.

Extraordinary claims require extraordinary evidence.

David