extensions of files when decrypting

Neil Williams linux at codehelp.co.uk
Tue Mar 9 19:30:38 CET 2004

On Tue, Mar 09, 2004 at 09:53:52AM +0300, Eugene Kotlyarov wrote:
> Hello.
>
> Sometimes users encrypt files sent to me like 'file.zip' to 'file.pgp'

That's the problem - why can't it be file.zip.pgp or file.zip.gpg?

If you reverse the process, Linux will convert a file.tar.gz into a
file.tar.gz.gpg

> When I decrypt it using PGP, it recovers .zip extension back,
> but when I decrypt it with GnuPG it makes just 'file'.

It doesn't make any odds, Linux doesn't rely on the extension anyway. If
it's a zip file, it can be unzipped - no matter what the filename or
extension.

> I don't find any option to fix it. Does it exist? And if not
> can it be added?

Use mv if you really want to have the extension:

mv file file.zip

The idea that files only have one . and the extension being the sole
determinant of the content is a DOS artefact. There is no reason to
continue with such convensions.

--

Neil Williams