Looking for Elgamal sign+encrypt key information

Kurt Fitzner kfitzner at excelcia.org
Mon Mar 22 05:01:17 CET 2004

Len Sassaman wrote:

>>OpenPGP has a RSA-based signature algorithm that supports >1024-bit
>>keys.  It's, well, RSA ;)
>
> Precisely. What is the problem with RSA?

I think that was hit point. :)

> It was actually implemented in PGP 7.5, probably per the direction of the
> marketing department, because "elliptic curve cryptography" sounds sexy.

Unfortunate reason to incorporate something, I agree.

> There are strong reasons *not* to add more algorithms to OpenPGP. OpenPGP
> already suffers greatly by having so many possible algorithms on which
> attacks against the system can be made.

Perhaps.  I wouldn't go adding ECDSA just for coolness factor.  But, one
of the given reasons for the incorporation of DSA was that it was a
signature standard.  One of the given reasons for incorporation of rDSA
and ECDSA into the new DSS is the key length restriction of DSA.  If DSA
falls into disuse, then without rDSA or ECDSA, there will be no
signature standard in OpenPGP at all.

I really don't know how much of an issue this would be.  Is the
incorporation of DSS important to GnuPG and OpenPGP?  How much of the
reasoning for incorporating DSA was that it was a standard, and how much
of it was because of RSA's patent?  These are questions I don't know the
answer to.  Any takers?