Error when using gpg in a cron job

Steve Butler sbutler at fchn.com
Fri Mar 26 21:49:09 CET 2004

Use --batch and --no-tty

-----Original Message-----
From: Kurt Fitzner [mailto:kfitzner at excelcia.org]
Sent: Friday, March 26, 2004 12:08 PM
To: gnupg-users at gnupg.org
Subject: Error when using gpg in a cron job

I have set up an internal machine on my network as a tripwire system
that checks over my firewall server once each morning and emails me the
results.  Since my firewall server is also my mail server, I wanted the
machine sending the mail to sign the email reports - forcing an attacker
to breach both systems in order to defeat the check.

My problem is when cron runs this command:
   cat /root/.gnupg/pass | $GPG --passphrase-fd 0 --quiet \
     --output $SIGNED --clearsign $REPORT

I get this error:
   gpg: cannot open `/dev/tty': No such device or address

For some reason, gpg is trying to open up a tty directly - for what
reason, I don't know.

This is running on an HP/UX 11.0 system.  If anyone has any ideas, I'd
appreciate it.

	Kurt Fitzner