Does trailing white space have to be deleted in textmode?

chris.1.sunderland at britishairways.com chris.1.sunderland at britishairways.com
Tue Mar 30 13:06:18 CEST 2004

Hi,

my users have a requirement to send 80 column fixed length records,
encrypted using GPG, therefore the trailing white space should be kept on
each line. However since they are sending files to various host system
types, we also wish to use textmode, which seems to force the trailing
white space to be stripped. Can this be prevented using GPG? We currently
have installed GPG 1.2.2.

I have read through various entries on the archive for this group, and I
know as far as my testing goes, it can't be done. However, I am an amateur
with GPG so I can't really be 100% percent sure of the answer. I have tried
using the simple test mentioned in some entries thus:

$ echo 'test    ' | gpg -ear 78FD286F | gpg | tr ' ' 'x'
gpg: encrypted with 2048-bit ELG-E key, ID 0FB754BF, created 2003-06-17
      "Chris Sunderland <chris.1.sunderland at britishairways.com>"
testxxxx

$ echo 'test    ' | gpg -tear 78FD286F | gpg | tr ' ' 'x'
gpg: encrypted with 2048-bit ELG-E key, ID 0FB754BF, created 2003-06-17
      "Chris Sunderland <chris.1.sunderland at britishairways.com>"
test

which shows the problem.

Does anyone know if there is a solution? I have run the same tests using
PGP, and it works as I would like it to - which one is correct?

Thanks,

      Chris Sunderland

Get the best from British Airways at ba.com
http://www.ba.com