OT: Revoking Old Keys... my problem

Neil Williams linux at codehelp.co.uk
Sun May 2 09:18:13 CEST 2004

On Sunday 02 May 2004 2:59, Jerry Windrel wrote:
> Is there any way to add an expiration date to a key that's already been
> uploaded to key servers?  My key is "forever" (mostly because that was the
> default) and I'm thinking it may have been better to give it an expiration
> date.  I guess I could revoke it and generate a new one, this time with an
> expiration date, but is there any other way?

Yes, edit the key and set a new expiry. This will cause problems for some
(broken/old) keyservers so make sure that you upload the key to a capable
keyserver: subkeys.pgp.net or keyserver.kjsl.com are my two favourites.

from man gpg:
    --edit-key name
                 Present a menu which enables you to do all key related tasks:
			 expire    Change the key expiration time.
			If a subkey is selected, the expiration time of this  subkey will be
			changed.  With no selection, the key expiration of the primary key is
			changed.

When you upload it, the new self-signature will be added to the keyserver copy
of the key which will allow gpg to show the new expiry.

--

Neil Williams