RSA and GPG

David Shaw dshaw at jabberwocky.com
Thu May 13 13:49:08 CEST 2004

On Wed, May 12, 2004 at 07:28:22AM -0500, Bruce Simms wrote:
> We are looking at not using E Business Sever and using gpg.  I have
> export my private keys from pgp and imported them to gpg and all testing
> was looking good but I have one old key that is a RSA key that I still
> get data encrypted with this key.  I cannot get these to decrypt and get
> the following errors.  Any thoughts??
>

> [root at localhost pgp]# gpg --decrypt DP003396.pgp
>

> gpg: protection algorithm 1 is not supported

This is an old PGP key that still protected using IDEA.  GnuPG doesn't
have IDEA for patent reasons, but there is an easy fix: change the
passphrase in PGP to nothing (that is, just hit enter when asked for
the new passphrase), then import the key to GnuPG.  Finally, set the
passphrase back to something you like within GnuPG.

Alternately, you can download the IDEA plugin for GnuPG, but please
first see:

      http://www.gnupg.org/why-not-idea.html

David