key-signing for pseudonyms

Thomas Sjögren thomas at northernsecurity.net
Mon May 17 20:10:45 CEST 2004

On Mon, May 17, 2004 at 06:43:47PM +0200, Jeff Fisher wrote:
> Just my opinion (or the circles I travel in), but growing up in the US, almost
> everybody personally knows one or two people who have a fake ID for getting
> into bars under the legal drinking age.  Often these are legal ID's, issued by
> the state, with falsified information.  For the truly paranoid, several of the
> 9/11 terrorists had valid US drivers licences, as US citizens.

You're absolutely right, but what are the alternatives?
Yes, only signing keys for people you have known for 15 years is an
option, but it's not really practical. In the end, it's all up to you
and your paranoia level who or what you want to sign.

> Even if the document is faked, do you know the anti-counterfiet measures for
> the passports in more than a couple countries? Who's a paranoid guy to trust?

Really paranoid guys? They should put their tinfoil-hat on, watch out
for the black helicopters of the UN and hide in a cave without
electricity.

> Maybe the solution to the original problem is to get a passport that says
> "Atom Smasher" as the name. ;-)

I guess in some countries that's possible :)

/Thomas
== thomas at northernsecurity.net | thomas at se.linux.org
== Encrypted e-mails preferred | GPG KeyID: 114AA85C