revoked key - was: Re: key-signing for pseudonyms

Johan Wevers johanw at vulcan.xs4all.nl
Sun May 23 06:09:50 CEST 2004

Jerry Windrel wrote:

>Alice publishes her legitimate public key.  Mallet can obtain Alice's
>public key, replace Alice's name with his own (i.e. Mallet),

He will not be able to self-sign that ID.

>then go to a key signing or notary, etc. and show his I.D. along with the
>public key's fingerprint.  Thus he could get lots of signatures attesting
>that Alice's public key really belongs to Mallet.

Without a self signature I wouldn't trust it. And I would not trust
signatures made by notaries who sign non-selfsigned keys, they indicate
the notary in question doesn't know what he's doing.

--
ir. J.C.A. Wevers         //  Physics and science fiction site:
johanw at vulcan.xs4all.nl   //  http://www.xs4all.nl/~johanw/index.html