Newbie needs help: any *detailed* documentation on gpg syntax?

David Shaw dshaw at jabberwocky.com
Mon May 24 16:36:40 CEST 2004

On Sun, May 23, 2004 at 05:36:04PM -0700, Kai Zhu wrote:
> Hi List,
>
> I could not find detailed info about gpg command line syntax such as
> "%?" formatting. The man page is very brief and the Handbook does not
> even touch this topic. Can anyone share some links with me?

There is not much to say.  When making a notation or a policy URL you
can use several %-escapes in the string.  The %-escapes are expanded
when the string is used:

%k   the keyid of the key you are signing
%K   the long keyid of the key you are signing
%f   the fingerprint of the key you are signing
%s   the keyid of the key making the signature
%S   the long keyid of the key making the signature
%g   the fingerprint of the key making the signature
%p   the primary key fingerprint of the key making the signature

For example, if you had a cert-policy-url of:

    http://blah/blah/%s/%k

And signed key 99242560 with key 12345678, the policy URL would be:

    http://blah/blah/12345678/99242560

David