SmartCard as subkey?

Werner Koch wk at gnupg.org
Fri Nov 5 11:15:25 CET 2004

On Thu, 4 Nov 2004 18:34:21 +0100, Simon Richter said:

> I don't have a smartcard reader in the boxen I consider trustworthy enough
> to hold my master key. Is there a way I can generate a key in the uni, get

You don't need to trust the smartcard reader; the reader can't get any
sensitive information out of the card and snooping the PIN is usually
of minor interest.

However, to create just subkey you need to have the primary key
available and that should only be done on a trusted machine.  If you
have such a box, just enter the usual key edit menu and use
"addcardkey".

  Werner