OK, here goes trouble... re c:\gnupg

Walter Torres walter at torres.ws
Tue Nov 9 16:35:05 CET 2004

Mark H. Wood added:

> The difficulty arises because some people want the MS Windows version
> to work like every other MS Windows application, and some want it to
> work like every Unix application.  Your proposed behavior is probably
> the best compromise between these two irreconcilable desires.

I hope so.

> The default user-settings directory can *and should* be dependent on the
> OS, because the conventions are different.  On Unix-alikes it should be
> $HOME/.gnupg, and on MS Windows it should be %ApplicationData%/gnupg/gnupg
>  (the first "gnupg" is the "vendor" and the second the product).

Absolutly, but...

<snip>

> On MS Windows an executable can discover the path from which it was run,

And this Windows "feature" is an arguement many use to demand that the
GnuGPG config sit in the directory that GnuGPG.exe sits in, not "some
other directory".

I expected this behavour when I began working with GnuGPG. But I got over
it.  ;)

> ... People who want things to work as in Unix should IMHO use Unix,

A very common attitude...

> but sometimes one can't,

So true, some of us have to work for Palpatine, even if indirectly.

> so some *optional* accommodations

Yes, *optional* is the key word.

> for that situation would be a great kindness.

Yes, "great kindness".

Walter