w32 installation paths

Walter Torres walter at torres.ws
Wed Nov 10 20:30:01 CET 2004

>> Message: 7
>> Date: Tue, 09 Nov 2004 17:35:17 +0100
>> From: Werner Koch <wk at gnupg.org>

>> Question: Just entering "gpg" on the command line won't work
>> then becuase it is not listed in the PATH environment variable. What
>> the usual way to fix this?
>
> just direct the command line to the gnupg directory:
>
> c:\ cd c:\progra~1\gnupg
> (windows commandlines don't allow more than 8 character directory
> names, so after the 6th character, windows/dos uses a '~1')

I beg to differ: [note: no idea about 98]

NT/2l/XP will accept...

  cd "C:\Program Files\gnupg\gpg.exe"

Or any other path of any length, with or without spaces. But notice, I had
to give it quote marks because of the spaces in the directory name.

> a kind linux user (who occasionally posts to this list too), also
> developed a way to run gnupg from a floppy without any registry entries:
>
> http://www.torduninja.tk/

Very nice.

I've had a few thoughts a "portable" GPG method.

I figure, *if* the next round adds the new path "features" discussed (
which included defaulting the binary (as a last resort) to look in the
same directory the binary for your personal config file), then the binary,
config files and your keys on your CD, or your memory stick or floppy.

Everything is self contained.

Just a theory of mine I was going to explore once this concpet was nailed
down and beta-tested out.

Walter