w32 installation paths

Walter Torres walter at torres.ws
Thu Nov 11 20:29:07 CET 2004

Maxine spoke:

<snipped other words>

> ... MS-DOS assumes that all files are located in the working directory,
> so if you're in A: (the floppy) it assumes everything is on the floppy
> and there's no need to include the path to the files you want to encrypt
> or decrypt.
>
> However, the GnuPG home directory is an exception to this rule and you
> have to specify its location in the command line even when it's on the
> floppy. I assume that this exceptional behaviour is coded into the gpg
> binary. I considered working on the code to change this default home
> directory location to the floppy, but that wouldn't help those using GPG
> TO GO on a USB stick, so I left it as it was.

OK. I lost you here.

If I have CMD/COMMAND.EXE, gnupg.exe, keys, etc on a UBS Stick, how is
that different than a floppy?

> One thought that occurs to me is to install the binaries and gpg.conf in
> the same directoy as cmd.exe (or command.com) so that gpg could pick up
> locations of keyrings etc from the configuration file (which would be the
> default "home"). But this is "Windows-think" and might cause more problems
> than it solves,considering gpg is designed for cross-platform compilation
> and Windows is bottom of the list of priorities.

Yes, this is windows speak. But then again, I don't feel that this
"segment" of users should be "ignored" (wrong word) because of that.

GPG is cross-platform, as many other (and a growing number of) Gnu apps are.

This doesn't mean that the MAKE can't be made to understand that "if
WINDOWS, do this, otherwise do 'normal'"

But then again, more and more PCs are becoming Linux, and not every Linux
install has GPG, so this GOG TO GO would be a viable option for that user
base as well.

> In any case, for those who have problems creating registry keys to use
> GPG on work machines, GPG TO GO is a viable solution.

Yes, I really like this concept.

Walter