[Fwd: Re: Compiling gnupg for mipsel]

Xabier Iurgi Arginzoniz Cebreiro yurgi.arginzoniz at air-bites.com
Wed Nov 17 18:54:31 CET 2004

Hello Neil

First of all I really apreciate your help, I look forward to trying it.
But I've taken a look at 'man strip' and read that 'strip --help' would
give me information about the architectures it accepts, and I can't see
mips; does it mean I can't strip mipsel objects?

This is probably because I'm cross-compiling the gpg from a x386-debian
box to mipsel, and so, the strip I have is for x386?

Is the stripping need to be done in all the object (.o) files of the gnupg
or in one precise file?

Thank you very much again

Iurgi

> On Wednesday 17 November 2004 1:53 pm, Xabier Iurgi Arginzoniz Cebreiro
wrote:
>> I've tried compiling it with everything disabled (--disable-[all de
variations]) and finally reduce it to 3,6MB. When I look at the size of
the x86 linux binaries, I see they only use 600KB aprox.

> You've used strip?
> man strip
> strip - Discard symbols from object files.
>
> Packaging schemes will strip the debugging symbols but when compiling
from source, it's usually left to you because if you are developing
code, you need
> debugging symbols to work with gdb etc.
>
> Stripping one of my own library files compiled from a tarball makes it
go from
> 53Kb to 9.3kb - a 6 fold decrease that should bring your 3.6Mb closer to
600kb.

> Sometimes, strip can be put into the make options or it can be done in
preparing the package.

> --
>
> Neil Williams
> ============http://www.codehelp.co.uk/