Public key server doesn't accept photos.

Jason Harris jharris at widomaker.com
Tue Nov 30 16:08:11 CET 2004

On Tue, Nov 30, 2004 at 03:05:53PM +0100, Thomas Sjögren wrote:
> On Tue, Nov 30, 2004 at 01:59:34PM +0100, Henry Andrew wrote:

> > I tried to upload a public key with photo to MITs key server and they do
> > not support this.  Does anyone know of a key server that does support
> > photo keys?
>
> subkeys.pgp.net

Almost.  One server in the rotation, x-hkp://keyserver.kjsl.com:11371,
will strip the photos.  Use a specific SKS server or
random.sks.keyserver.penguin.de if you care about photos on keys.

> > If I upload a photo key to another key server, will that key fail to
> > register with all those key servers that do not support this feature,
> > once synchronisation begins?
>
> Your key will not include the photo (or subkeys) on the servers not supporting it,
> besides that there shouldnt be any problems.

Specifically, keyserver.kjsl.com strips photo IDs before sending keys
to other keyservers, most of which silently drop all sync. emails with
photos in them and would not otherwise have (the photoless versions of)
such keys.  Otherwise, you['d] have to add "--export-options
no-include-attributes" and make a special effort to send such a key to
pgp.mit.edu, for example, which would then propagate the (naturally,
photoless version of the) key.

--
Jason Harris           |  NIC:  JH329, PGP:  This _is_ PGP-signed, isn't it?
jharris at widomaker.com _|_ web:  http://keyserver.kjsl.com/~jharris/