Weaknesses in SHA-1

Thomas Sjögren thomas at northernsecurity.net
Sat Oct 2 10:46:40 CEST 2004

On Sat, Oct 02, 2004 at 02:56:27AM -0400, Atom 'Smasher' wrote:
> with all this talk of (allegedly!) weak and broken hashes, i'd like to
> throw out a construct to combine 2 or more hashes and (it seems) make the
> construct more secure than either one of the hashes independently: take
> two or more hashes and XOR them.

And this creates what? Neither a sha1 or ripemed verification is
possible.

r = H(H(M))

or

H' = H(M)
H' -> H1,H2
H" = H(H1 xor H2)
r = H(H")

seems to me are better options, the first obviously faster than the
second.
the security improvements? none i guess if you're using anything else
than md5 or sha{0,1}.

/Thomas
--
== Encrypted e-mails preferred | GPG KeyID: 114AA85C