Can a new version use old keys?

Neil Williams linux at codehelp.co.uk
Fri Oct 15 13:19:32 CEST 2004

On Friday 15 October 2004 4:19 am, Pip Jones wrote:
> I've recently been forced to upgrade from 1.0.6 to 1.2.1 and am having
> trouble decrypting. Do I need to regenerate the keys or should the old
> keys still work in the new version?

More information needed, but generally the keys will continue to work. There
are some keys that 1.2.1 can use that 1.0.6 cannot so it's best to upgrade
anyway.

> I'm encrypting on Linux and decrypting on Windows, something which has
> been working fine for years with 1.0.6.

So what (exactly) is the error message?

What kind of keys are you using (gpg --list-key keyid)

What are you using to decrypt on Windows? WinPT or PGP?

Can you decrypt the files on GNU/Linux?
(i.e. before you send them)

Can you decrypt files sent from the Windows box on the GNU/Linux box?

How are you transferring the files?

Are you using ASCII armour for the encrypted files? (Make sure if you are then
using FTP to use ASCII transfer, not binary).

--

Neil Williams