When to lock page under WinNT?

Werner Koch wk at gnupg.org
Thu Oct 21 19:13:19 CEST 2004

On Tue, 19 Oct 2004 19:39:38 +0800, Zuxy  said:

> Pages that a process has locked remain in physical memory until the
> process unlocks them or terminates.

We had long discussions on several Mailing lists over the years to
check what VirtualLock really does.  The conclusion is that it does
not work in the described way.  See Peter Gutmann's article on the RNG
or his book.

Recently some newer information might change the picture but tehre is
still no agreement.

> I suppose it would appear in 1.4 but I haven't seen it in 1.3.91 yet.
> Will it be in place, together with the reactivation of warning about
> insecure memory under Win9x? Thanks.

No, it won't appear in GnuPG unless there is a portable and working
way of doing so.

  Werner