kmail & gnupg working now

Karl and Tanya Pizzolatto karlandtanya at earthlink.net
Thu Sep 2 17:26:06 CEST 2004

Here's how I did it, with much help from all the group:

YMMV...

First, I built & installed gpg stuff.

It took several builds to figure it out, but I think this is the correct
sequence (dependancies) if you're going to do it in one shot:

libgpg-error-0.7
libgcrypt-1.2.0
libksba-0.9.8
libassuan-0.6.6
pth-2.0.1
pinentry-0.7.1
gnupg-1.9.10
gpgme-0.9.0

Next, I rebuilt kdepim-3.3.0

Next, I put this in my $HOME/.profile (per the gnupg readme)
#!/bin/bash
if test -f $HOME/.gpg-agent-info && \
       kill -0 `cut -d: -f 2 $HOME/.gpg-agent-info` 2>/dev/null; then
         GPG_AGENT_INFO=`cat $HOME/.gpg-agent-info`
         export GPG_AGENT_INFO
    else
         eval `gpg-agent --daemon`
         echo $GPG_AGENT_INFO >$HOME/.gpg-agent-info
    fi

either logout & login again, or execute $HOME/.profile & make sure
$GPG_AGENT_INFO contains the line pointing to /tmp/.... (where the socket
S.gpg-agent is)

Everything now works just peachy!

I have slackware build scripts if you need them

Oh, yeah--
I suid root (chmod 4755) some gnupg executables.  This allows secure memory to
be used.  Understand suid root before you use it, because it can be a
security risk.  Probably make a "gnupg" group and chgrp those executables.
Then add the appropriate users to group "gnupg".

Have fun, and thanks to all the group for mucho help and excellent coding!!