Share group aliases between GnuPG and PGP?

David Shaw dshaw at jabberwocky.com
Sat Sep 11 06:07:03 CEST 2004

On Mon, Sep 06, 2004 at 08:55:19AM -0400, Michael O. Tjebben wrote:

> Is there a way to share group aliases between GnuPG and PGP?
> Most of us in my department use GnuPG, and we've defined group aliases
> in our gpg.conf file, but there's a few hold-outs who still use PGP.  Is
> there a way to export our group alias definitions and import them into
> PGP so that we can all "stay-in-sync?"

Yes and no.  If you have a command line version of pgp, you can grep
the group lines out of gpg.conf and do some magic to convert them to
pgp -ga commands.  If you don't have a command line version that
supports groups (note that the new PGP 8 command line doesn't) then
there isn't any really good way to do it.  The PGP "PGPgroup.pgr"
files have a private format, and while I suppose they could be reverse
engineered, there hasn't been much need for interchangeable group
files yet.

David