Detecting PGP 2.6.x keys

Aleksandar Milivojevic amilivojevic at pbl.ca
Thu Sep 16 20:49:58 CEST 2004

David Shaw wrote:
> Although, I should add that if you really want to see a key version,
> you can do 'gpg --export key | gpg --list-packets' and pipe that
> through something to parse out the key version.  That's not a
> supported interface though, and may change in the future.

Thanks for your help.  I believe that this will be usable for what I
need it (althoug it would be nice if there was a more direct way of
doing it).  I'll just parse the output searching for "version 2, algo 1"
lines.

For what I need it, I can assure that everybody with PGP 2.6 style key
is actually using PGP 2.6.  Anyhow, even in general case, if somebody is
using PGP 2.6 style key, than he probably has idea code compiled in or
as a module.  Otherwise, he would loose access to all his previously
encrypted data.

BTW, completely off topic.  When somebody migrates from PGP 2.x to say
GnuPG, can he migrate his old RSA key and signatures into new V4 format
(effectively getting V4 key that has same key data as his old key)?  Or
the only way is to create new V4 key, get all people to sign it again,
and so on...