key capabilities usage meanings

archimedes at infinito.it archimedes at infinito.it
Fri Apr 1 18:33:13 CEST 2005

What is the meaning of usage/capabilities listings for
keys(shown, for
example, during edit-keys interactive sessions)?
S -> sign
E -> encrypt
C -> ?
A -> ?
looking at doc/DETAILS I found
C -> certification
A -> authentication

But I dont' understand the difference between
certification,
authentication and signing.
I have different keys, each for a different internet
"personality",
and I noticed that one primary key is listed as CSA and
another
CS. The two keys were generated with the same options (DSA
for signing
+ElGamal subkey for pubkey encryption), so why this
difference?

Another question: I read in manpage that MDC is enabled by
default
with newer ciphers(blocksize>64bit) and with CAST5. So why
when you
decipher a symmetrically encrypted message you get
"WARNING: message
was not integrity protected" and only with --force-mdc the
warning
goes away?

--
Archimedes
OpenPGP public key available trough keyservers, ID:

http://www.infinito.it/xmail