OpenPGP card and BasicCard

Christian Rank christian.rank at rz.uni-passau.de
Thu Apr 14 08:20:13 CEST 2005

Werner Koch wrote:
> On Wed, 13 Apr 2005 09:08:24 +0200, Christian Rank said:
>
>>according to a notice at www.basiccard.com, the BasicCard manufactured
>>by ZeitControl cardsystems GmbH should support the OpenPGP smartcard
>>specification. Are the OpenPGP cards sold by kernelconcepts.de such
>>BasicCards?
>
> The cards are build upon the Basiccard OS but they are not a freely
> programmable Basiccard.  Note, that Zeitcontrol's cards with RSA
> encryption are not available to end users (probably due to fear of
> litigation coming from pay TV companies; those using the security by
> litigation crypto algorithm).

So the OpenPGP cards are ZeitControls's BasicCards with RSA encryption
and the OpenPGP application loaded and put in state 'RUN' (no further
programming of the card possible)?

What I'm missing from the OpenPGP card is the ability to load a PCKS#15
structure on the card. This would make it possible to use this card not
only for signing and encryption, but also for WWW authentication with
client certificates. Is something like that planned in the future?

Regards,
	Christian

--
Dr. Christian Rank