Need help exchanging keys with PGP 6.5.2 on AIX

Steve M. Fabac, Jr. smfabac at att.net
Fri Apr 15 06:43:30 CEST 2005

I have not been successful in exchanging encrypted messages between
PGP 6.5.2 on AIX and GnuPG 1.4.1.

I am still learning with GnuPG and the curve is steep.

The FAQ has suggestions for Encrypting messages with
GnuPG for decryption with PGP, but no section on how to
generate compatible public/private keys for exchange with
PGP 6.5.2 on the AIX system.

My first attempt to run gpg --gen-key and exchanging the
public key with the AIX administrator resulted in

> [smf] unix!/u/smf/test $ gpg --decrypt testfile.txt.pgp | head
> gpg: [don't know]: invalid packet (ctb=6f)

when I tried to decrypt the test message. Then I tried

> gpg --pgp6 --gen-key

and specified (1) DSA and Elgamal (default) and

DSA key pair will have 1024 bits.
ELG-E keys may be between 1024 and 4096 bits long.
What keysize do you want? (2048) 1024

After sending the resulting public key to the AIX administrator,
decrypting the test message resulted in:

[smf] unix!/u/smf $ gpg --pgp6 --decrypt testfile.txt.pgp > bob
gpg: mpi too large (57092 bits)

and
[smf] unix!/u/smf $ gpg --decrypt testfile.txt.pgp > bob
gpg: mpi too large (57092 bits)

What should I try next?

--

                                      Steve Fabac