Leave clearsigned content encoding alone, how?

Alain Bench messtic at oreka.com
Thu Aug 4 15:16:24 CEST 2005

Hello Michael,

 On Wednesday, August 3, 2005 at 8:57:07 PM +0000, Michael Kjörling wrote:

> My MUA, muttng, correctly identifies the input data prior to signing
> as iso-8859-15 and after signing as utf-8

    Mutt half-recently began to force outgoing traditional inline PGP
messages to UTF-8, disregarding the $send_charset list (in fact acting
as if $send_charset="us-ascii:utf-8"). This change was done to improve
interoperability, but can unfortunately reduce it in some cases. It is
not configurable. And Muttng is based on most recent CVS Mutt.

    Takashi Takizawa has done a patch to allow other charsets in inline
PGP mails. Look at <URL:http://www.emaillab.org/mutt/download15.html.en>
for it.

> a lot of mailers don't seem to deal very well with UTF-8 data.

    Which ones exactly? How do they behave?

> My gnupg.conf explicitly states "charset iso-8859-15"

    If your system locale is correct, which is preferable, you could
remove this statement. GnuPG will automagically deduce the charset from
whatever the current locale is.

Bye!	Alain.
--
Everything about locales on Sven Mascheck's excellent site at new
location <URL:http://www.in-ulm.de/~mascheck/locale/>. The little tester