Leave clearsigned content encoding alone, how?

Johan Wevers johanw at vulcan.xs4all.nl
Fri Aug 5 14:55:37 CEST 2005

Werner Koch wrote:

>No, it does not for the majority of people.  It works only in the
>ascii and sometimes in the Latin-x countries.

It helps simplifying languages: I communicate often with people from
Eastern Europe, whose language contains many accents. However, as
the contact is often text messages, they just ignore all those accents.
The language is still readable, so they're superfluous anyway. In
Dutch I do the same: the often used \"e there is in sms usually replaced
by just e. I don't use accented chars in email since it gets usually
screwed up at the other side anyway. I read my own email usually in
text mode screens, with the IBM 850 charset. MIME headers can't change
that anyway, since you need root acces to change the active charset
and I don't plan to make elm and mutt suid because of that.

Most people find it too much work to figure out where the few supported
accented characters on gsm phones are anyway. In email I see the same,
except for those M$ users that seem to think I like html mail.

--
ir. J.C.A. Wevers         //  Physics and science fiction site:
johanw at vulcan.xs4all.nl   //  http://www.xs4all.nl/~johanw/index.html