Help revoking a signature

Charly Avital shavital at mac.com
Mon Aug 15 16:04:56 CEST 2005

 From man gpg:
"To revoke a subkey or a signature, use the --edit command."

Provided you didn't sign that key using the nrsign command, you can
still revoke your own signature.

It could look like this:

$ gpg --edit-key [key ID]
 >Command revsign [return]

You have signed these user IDs on key [key ID]:
      User name <user at domain_name.com>
    signed by your key [signing key ID] on [signature date]

Create a revocation certificate for this signature? (y/N)

You take it from there. Eventually, you'll be requested to enter the
passphrase of the key you used for the signature you want to revoke,
a reason for the revocation, and a comment.

At the end of the process, the Terminal emulator (I am a Mac user),
or DOS prompt will show the key without your signature. Save it.

To check what you have done:

Type gpg --edit-key [key ID where you have just revoked your signature]
 >Command check [this will display the key's signatures]
there will be a line like:
rev! [your signing key ID] [signature date]  your name
<user_name at domain_name.com>

*and also* a line showing your original signature.

This proves that the new keyblock contains both your original
signature and its revocation.

If the key (you signed) is already on the keyservers, you should
consider to upload the new keyblock to a keyserver too.

A remark for the gpg gurus:
In my gpg system 1.4.2, the reason and comment for the revocation,
that I entered during the revocation process, do not show. I think
they should, otherwise why gpg requires to enter that information?

Good luck,
Charly