mpi too large

Bigda, Faith fbigda at BabsonCapital.com
Tue Dec 20 15:35:24 CET 2005

They are using PGP Ver. 7.0.1

-----Original Message-----
From: David Shaw [mailto:dshaw at jabberwocky.com]
Sent: Friday, December 16, 2005 8:32 AM
To: gnupg-users at gnupg.org
Cc: Bigda, Faith
Subject: Re: mpi too large

On Thu, Dec 08, 2005 at 02:11:27PM -0500, Bigda, Faith wrote:
> I've been researching and I can't seem to determine what the problem is with the key.  It appears to have a bad signature?  I imported the key and do an edit check:
>
> C:\GnuPG>gpg --import xx.asc
> gpg: key F867286A: public key "Named File Transfer" imported
> gpg: Total number processed: 1
> gpg:               imported: 1
>
> C:\GnuPG>gpg --edit-key F867286A
> gpg (GnuPG) 1.2.3; Copyright (C) 2003 Free Software Foundation, Inc.
> This program comes with ABSOLUTELY NO WARRANTY.
> under certain conditions. See the file COPYING for details.
>
> gpg: checking the trustdb
> gpg: checking at depth 0 signed=0 ot(-/q/n/m/f/u)=0/0/0/0/0/7
> This key may be revoked by DSA key 8C5F4D13 [?]
> pub  1024D/F867286A  created: 2004-11-09 expires: never      trust: -/-
> sub  3072g/EC820541  created: 2004-11-09 expires: never
> (1). Named File Transfer
>
> Command> check
> uid  Named File Transfer
> sig!        F867286A 2004-11-09   [self-signature]
> 1 signature not checked due to a missing key
>
> Command>
>

> The problem is that even if I follow through and TRUST it anyway,
> when I try to decrypt a file from them I get an error: "mpi too
> large".  I don't know if the problems are even related.

Probably unrelated.  The "signature not checked" is not an error, but
normal operation: the key you imported has a signature from a key you
don't have.  It's just a note so you can go out and get this other key
if you care.

The "mpi too large" is a problem, but likely on the sender side.  Do
you know what program they are using to encrypt?

David

This e-mail transmission may contain information that is proprietary, privileged and/or confidential and is intended exclusively for the person(s) to whom it is addressed. Any use, copying, retention or disclosure by any person other than the intended recipient or the intended recipient's designees is strictly prohibited. If you are not the intended recipient or their designee, please notify the sender immediately by return e-mail and delete all copies.