Create key's over 4096 bit ????

Ludwig Hügelschäfer mlisten at hammernoch.net
Wed Dec 21 12:29:48 CET 2005

Hi Holger,

On 21.12.2005 12:18 Uhr, Holger Schuettel wrote:

> Hi
> I've any questions. How can i generate a keypair with size  more than
> 4096 bits? I've a RSA key from my friend in my keyring with 16384 bits.
> How is that possible? I've to try it with gnupg to generate a key over
> 4096 bits and thats not possible. Can you help me ?

Well, there are different possibilities. First, there (still) are
ckt-Versions of PGP 5/6.x in use which allow creation of such big keys.

Second, everybody is free to modify the key size limits in the existing
gnupg code and compile a version for him/herself. That should not be too
difficult.

I'm quite conservative and think, that 4096 bits are really really
enough for now and even a lot of years to come. There are far more
weaknesses in the communication chain than a key size below 16384.

> Sorry for my english :-)

No reason to apologize :-)

> (german answer preferred)

This is an english-speaking mailing list :-)

Ludwig