using gpgsm

Werner Koch wk at gnupg.org
Sat Dec 24 14:07:13 CET 2005

On Wed, 21 Dec 2005 14:23:26 -0600, Aleksandar Milivojevic said:

> gpgsm: gpgsm: GPG_TTY has not been set - using maybe bogus default
> gpgsm: gpg-protect-tool: Secure memory is not locked into core
> gpgsm: gpg-protect-tool: gpg-agent is not available in this session

You need to start gpg-agent first; importing p12 files is not possible
with an on-demand loaded gpg-agent.

  gpg-agent --daemon /bin/sh

is probably the easiest way for testing this.  Within this shell run
the import again.  Use exit to sto the agent then.

Hint:  Running just gpg-agent will show whether an agent is available.

> gpgsm: gpg-protect-tool: error while asking for the passphrase: Invalid digest
> algorithm

Hmmm, the error message does not seem to be correct.  I found the
problem and will fix for the next versions.  The correct error message
is "no agent"

> Attempting to generate new private key using --gen-key hasn't worked eiter (this
> function is not yet available from the commandline).

Check out http://www.fsfe.org/en/fellows/werner/weblog/creating_server_certificates_with_gnupg

Or use KMail/Kleopatra

> Another question is about support for non US-ASCII characters in certificates
> (something tells me you might be getting lot of these questions).  I've
> received one certificate that has some accented letters in CN and OU.  After
> importing it, and then doing "gpgsm --list-keys", the output shows the Subject
> without CN and OU (only O, L, ST and C are displayed).  Is this certificate

gpgsm always displays utf-8 thus they may look weir depending on
your locale setting.

Salam-Shalom,

   Werner