using passphrase with special chars on Windows

Philipp Kern pkern at debian.org
Tue Dec 27 03:21:39 CET 2005

Hans Müller wrote:
> Hello, I have a key with a passphrase that contains special char's(german extra chars).
> On Linux all is ok. On Windows PGP can use the key. But gpg on Windows say every time, that the
> pasphrase are wrong. But the passphrase is ok. Have someone an idea???

You certainly encounter charset problems. On Linux you use either
ISO-8859-1 or UTF-8 on your terminal. On Windows... Well I don't know
but I recall something Windows specific. You should change the
passphrase on Linux to remove the umlauts, because they *will* cause
problems.

If you somehow manage to get an UTF-8 environment on both Linux and
Windows you're fine. But as I dropped Windows some time ago, I can't
help on this one, I don't even know if it's possible.

Kind regards,
Philipp Kern