[Announce] release candidate for 1.4.1 available

Charly Avital shavital at mac.com
Thu Feb 3 19:21:39 CET 2005

On Feb 3, 2005, at 6:48 AM, Werner Koch wrote:

> Hi!
>
> We are pleased to announce the availability of a release candidate for
> the forthcoming 1.4.1 version of gnupg:
>
>  ftp://ftp.gnupg.org/gcrypt/alpha/gnupg/gnupg-1.4.1rc1.tar.bz2  (2709k)
>  ftp://ftp.gnupg.org/gcrypt/alpha/gnupg/gnupg-1.4.1rc1.tar.bz2.sig

Compiled for Macintosh OS X 10.3.7, Darwin 7.7.0, CPU PPC G4 (1.1).
Running OK.

> [...]

> Noteworthy changes since 1.4.0:
>
>  * New --rfc2440-text option which controls how text is handled in
>    signatures.  This is in response to some problems seen with
>    certain PGP/MIME mail clients and GnuPG version 1.4.0.  More
>    details about this are available at
>
> <http://lists.gnupg.org/pipermail/gnupg-users/2005-January/
> 024408.html>

Self-test correctly verified by two different MUAs that use gpg. When
verifying with PGP 8.1, bad signature (will inform the PGP people).
This message is signed using PGP/MIME (I hope).

>  * New "import-unusable-sigs" and "export-unusable-sigs" tags for
>    --import-options and --export-options.  These are on by
>    default, and cause GnuPG to not import or export key signatures
>    that are not usable (e.g. expired signatures).

The wording is a bit confusing, *for me* that is:
if the tag --import-unusable-sigs is on by default, how will that cause
GnuPG *not* to import key signatures that are not usable? It would seem
that it would cause GnuPG to import key signatures that are not usable.
Ditto for export. Sorry if this sounds dense.

>  * New experimental HTTP, HTTPS, FTP, and FTPS keyserver helper
>    that uses the cURL library <http://curl.haxx.se> to retrieve
>    keys.  This is disabled by default, but may be enabled with the
>    configure option --with-libcurl.  Without this option, the
>    existing HTTP code is used for HTTP, and HTTPS, FTP, and FTPS
>    are not supported.

Sorry, missed that one. I'll try an additional ./configure with that
option enabled.
[...]

> Happy Hacking,
>
>   David, Timo, Werner