GD doesn't always accept revocations

David Shaw dshaw at jabberwocky.com
Wed Feb 9 20:53:58 CET 2005

On Wed, Feb 09, 2005 at 02:33:19PM -0500, Jason Harris wrote:

> It seems the GD doesn't always accept revocations for keys it stores:

>   %gpg --keyserver keyserver.kjsl.com --recv 3EA5F9EF

>   %gpg --keyserver ldap://keyserver-beta.pgp.com --send-key 3EA5F9EF

>   %gpg --delete-key 3EA5F9EF

>   %gpg --keyserver ldap://keyserver-beta.pgp.com --recv 3EA5F9EF

> Note that the key is returned from keyserver-beta.pgp.com
> _without its revocation_:

https://keyserver-beta.pgp.com/vkd/VKDHelpPGPCom.html :

  Can I post a revoked key to the PGP Global Directory?

  No. The PGP Global Directory includes many features to prevent it
  from being filled with unusable keys. One of these features is that
  the directory does not support revoked keys. Instead of revoking
  your key, simply remove it from the directory.

In short, it's a feature.  I'm not sure I completely like that
feature, but nevertheless, the GD is operating as intended.

David