unable to execute program `gpgkeys_hkp': Permission denied

Adam Funk adam00f at ducksburg.com
Thu Feb 10 20:39:15 CET 2005

> > I compiled and installed GnuPG 1.4.0.  Everything works except
> > interaction with keyservers.  When I use --send-key, --recv-key or
> > --refresh, it always fails thus:
> >
> > $ gpg -v --recv-key F09BDAD5
> > gpg: requesting key F09BDAD5 from hkp server pgp.mit.edu
> > gpg: unable to execute program `gpgkeys_hkp': Permission denied
> > gpg: keyserver internal error
> > gpg: keyserver receive failed: keyserver error
> >
> > How do I fix this?
>
> I had the same problem.  For some reason GnuPG wants these gpgkey_*
> files in /usr/libexec/gnupg/, but they are installed in /usr/libexec
>
> Just symlink them (*) and then submit a bug report - I was and still
> am too lazy to do it myself.

Hmm.  I found all those files in /usr/local/libexec/gnupg/ on my system,
but identified a related problem: the /usr/local/libexec
and /usr/local/libexec/gnupg directories were not world-executable.
"chmod a+x /usr/local/libexec /usr/local/libexec/gnupg" fixed it.  Thanks
for pointing me in the right direction.

Is this a bug in the install?