Changing passphrase

Neil Williams linux at codehelp.co.uk
Tue Feb 15 21:00:13 CET 2005

On Tuesday 15 February 2005 5:40 pm, René Lemme wrote:
> Hello group,
>
> what would happen if I would change the passphrase of my sec-key but keep a
> copy of the sec-key with the old passphrase? Could both sec-key files on
> different pc's be used?

Provided you remember which passphrase is which, yes. Either key can be used
to decrypt messages sent to the public key or to make signatures with the one
key.

But, why not just have two keys?

Having two passphrases is no more secure because you can do everything with
either passphrase, all you need is the right passphrase - so no change there.

--

Neil Williams