Backup with encryption

Mads Munch Hansen mads at warhead.org.uk
Wed Feb 16 14:13:43 CET 2005

Greg Sabino Mullane wrote:

>>>I work actually on a system of backup on my server and to secure my data i
>>>encrypt it with gnupg. But i have a problem, actually i have export my
>>>public key and i don't know how to export my secret-key because if i have a
>>>crash on my server all my data could not be decryt because i haven't the
>>>secret key i have made a test. Then my question how can i made a backup ok
>>>my secret-key to decrypt my data before a crash?
>

> You could also use plain-old symmetric encryption:
>
> gpg -ca yourfile
>
> (the "a" is optional but makes the files easy to recognize and send through
> email)
>
> The only thing you have to worry about then is forgetting the password.
>
> --
> Greg Sabino Mullane greg at turnstep.com
> PGP Key: 0x14964AC8 200502152313
> http://biglumber.com/x/web?pk=2529DF6AB8F79407E94445B4BC9B906714964AC8

That would mean he would have to input a passphrase everytime he does a
backups, or make a script that does it for him, which could be a
potential security risk. By using a public key, the backups can be done
unatended with no risk of passphrase being compromised if the script(s)
are. (it would be a good idea nontheless to keep the secret key on
another system though)

Regards
Mads