problem using keys created with 1.2.1 with 1.0.6

David Shaw dshaw at jabberwocky.com
Mon Jan 3 14:28:16 CET 2005

On Mon, Jan 03, 2005 at 08:05:29AM +0000, Mike Kordosky wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I'm attempting to use a key generated with gpg 1.2.1 with the older 1.0.6.
> Upgrading the older version is not an option now, but it will be done at
> some point in the nearish future.

[..]

> Is this the sign of an unreconcilable incompatibility or is there
> something I can do?  I could generate the keys on the 1.0.6 system, though
> I've been advised that this is somewhat of a no-no.

The OpenPGP protection algorithm for secret keys changed after the
1.0.6 release.  To import a later key into 1.0.6, edit the later key
using the later gpg via 'gpg --simple-sk-checksum --edit (thekey)',
change the passphrase via 'passwd' (you may even use the same
passphrase if you like), then 'save'.

The password change is simply to cause gpg to decrypt and reencrypt
the key.  The --simple-sk-checksum tells it to use the old format when
it reencrypts.

Now export the key and you can import it into 1.0.6.

David