Problems attemoting to use GPG with a USB watch

Eric S. Raymond esr at thyrsus.com
Tue Jan 4 09:47:47 CET 2005

David Champion <dgc at uchicago.edu>:
> Is the USB device formatted with a FAT/VFAT filesystem? (It looks like
> it is, and that's the default with all NVRAM USB storage devices I've
> seen.)

I don't know for sure, but it seems not unlikely.

> You might try adding --lock-never --no-permission-warning to the command
> line (or lock-never and no-permission-warning to $GNUPGHOME/options). I
> have a somewhat more complicated variation of this on my USB keychain,
> and it works; but without this I see errors similar to yours.

The hack Adam Cripps mentioned to locate the secret key only on the
device using the conf file seems simpler.

Just out of curiosity...could the device be reformatted with mkfs?  If
so, is there any good reason not to make it into a normal ext3 volume?