GnuPG for Win (XP) Installation

Sean C. C. scc4fun at spamcop.net
Sat Jan 8 10:01:43 CET 2005

I downloaded the gnupg for windows freeware. But am a little confused
about the installation process. I have PGP installed also, but plan on
uninstalling it. I don't know if that affects GPG and its installation
at all.
Anyways, I downloaded the zip and sig. The sig I ended up doing nothing
with. I extracted the zip and according to the readme.w32 file copied
the exe's to directory c:\gnupg. I also double-clicked on the .reg file
to add those keys to my registry. I'm not sure what else I need to do.
When I try to use the enigmail plugin for Thunderbird 1.0 it tells me
that gpg can't find 'iconv.dll'. It was not included in the .zip file
and the readme.w32 does not mention it at all.

In fact, the doesn't explicitly say to move any files to the C:\gnupg
directory only to create it (or another directory of my choosing) and
create the registry keys. Since I followed the instructions I'm
*assuming* that the included registry keys should work. For what I'm not
sure. Then to enter gpg and see what happens. Well, it would appear that
when I did that from "my documents" it created public and secret
keyrings in the c:\gnupg folder.

Below is what happens when I try to create a key:

C:\>cd gnupg

C:\gnupg>gpg --gen-key
gpg: error loading `iconv.dll': The specified module could not be found.

gpg (GnuPG) 1.4.0; Copyright (C) 2004 Free Software Foundation, Inc.
This program comes with ABSOLUTELY NO WARRANTY.
under certain conditions. See the file COPYING for details.

Please select what kind of key you want:
    (1) DSA and Elgamal (default)
    (2) DSA (sign only)
    (5) RSA (sign only)
Your selection?