GPG on USB drive

Johan Wevers johanw at vulcan.xs4all.nl
Tue Jan 11 11:34:06 CET 2005

C. D. Rok wrote:

>The filesystem would have to be VFAT;

I agree, they all support this well. With some options that prevent locking
gpg can handle this well.

>In such operation GPG would be self-contained and strictly isolated from
>the NET,

Not really, the host OS can acces gpg files. And it's not really necessary
to try to isolate gpg from the internet if the host setup allows things
like keyserver access.

>only the mail client would be net- aware

If possible on the host. This depends strongly on the host (typical a
machine at work).

Sometimes you'll have to use your own SMTP server if you would want to use
email, sometimes you'll have to configure strange ports, sometimes only
webmail is possible and often only a pre-installed application will work.
And sometimes you'll have to store the message on the portable device and
mail it from home, in cases the machine doesn't have internet access at all.

--
ir. J.C.A. Wevers         //  Physics and science fiction site:
johanw at vulcan.xs4all.nl   //  http://www.xs4all.nl/~johanw/index.html