2 ways of signing files

Mark Ivs markivs2003 at yahoo.com
Sat Jan 15 18:26:00 CET 2005

Hello,
I would like to know if there are 2 ways of signing.
Please take a look at the following scenarios.

Scenario 1:
I add Blake's public key to my key ring. I can do the
following 2 steps to edit and sign Blake's public key.
1. gpg --edit-key blake at cyb.org
2. Command> sign
This will sign the key. So, now I can encrypt the file
by doing the following...
'gpg --recipient "blake at cyb.org" --output
$rootpath\\$filepgp --encrypt
$rootpath\\encrypted\\$datafile`

When Blake gets the encrypted file, does it mean that
the file is also signed?

Scenario 2:
I can encrypt and sign by doing the following.
'gpg --recipient "XXX" --output $rootpath\\$filepgp
--sign --encrypt $rootpath\\encrypted\\$datafile`

Can someone please tell me if scenario 1 and 2 are
basically doing the same thing?

Thanks in advance.
-Mark