unconvertable chars display glitches

Alain Bench xwck at oreka.com
Sat Jan 15 14:36:15 CET 2005

 On Friday, January 14, 2005 at 7:14:31 PM +0100, Werner Koch wrote:

> On Fri, 14 Jan 2005 10:19:46 +0100 (CET), Alain Bench said:
>> An 'é' (e acute) and a 'œ' (oe ligature). Perfect display in a locale
>> having both chars, like with CP-1252 charset
> That is due to wrong aliasing Latin-1 to CP-1252

    No: The said alias in GnuPG 1.4 was Win32-specific, while my example
is on Woody. The -vvv line "gpg: using character set `CP1252'" confirms
alias was not involved. Besides, this first part was an example of
*good* display, only to later highlight the incorrect display on CP-857.

>> The warning line about failed conversion may perhaps not be really
>> necessary
> We can't do anything about it.

    Ah zut. It is not helpfull, and sometimes fills the screen when
printed repeatedly for each UID reprint (like in --list-sigs).

    BTW another minor glitch, on Woody, GnuPG 1.4, CP-1252 locale:

| $ gpg -vvv --with-colons --list-keys "René"
| gpg: using character set `CP1252'
| [...]
| pub:-:512:17:FC713EC9882B59FD:2005-01-08:::-:René LecÅ\x93ur <joe at foo.bar>::scaSCA:

    --with-colons outputs UTF-8 bytes: Feature. But why is one byte \x93
escaped? 93 is printable in this locale.

Bye!	Alain.