unconvertable chars display glitches

Alain Bench xwck at oreka.com
Fri Jan 21 10:30:14 CET 2005

 On Tuesday, January 18, 2005 at 4:48:50 PM +0100, Werner Koch wrote:

> On Sat, 15 Jan 2005 14:36:15 +0100 (CET), Alain Bench said:
>> [display unconv warning] fills the screen when printed repeatedly
> Won't get printed more than one time now.

    Good enough: Thanks.

    Doing same on input to UTF unconvertability might ease user inputing
garbage to UIDs, isn't it?

>> --with-colons [escapes] byte \x93
> Because 0x80-0x9F are not defined and might be used for control
> characters.

    There \x93 is well defined and printable, both in the locale's
charset CP-1252, and in UTF-8 (as part of a sequence).

| <U201C>	/x93		LEFT DOUBLE QUOTATION MARK	“
| <U0153>	/xc5/x93	LATIN SMALL LIGATURE OE		œ

    Escaping \x93 breaks display even in an UTF-8 locale. But I seem to
understand that whatever locale, --with-colons display is secondary. And
parsers might perhaps at some level work in Latin-1. Is it what you
meant?

    BTW another minor glitch, on Woody, GnuPG 1.4, Latin-1 locale, real
key 0x426D29E3 on keyservers (snipped addy):

| $ gpg --list-keys 426D29E3
| pub   1024D/426D29E3 2004-12-17
| uid                  Melchior de Contades (Cl\xe9\x20PGP; no password) [...]
| sub   2048g/6C0FE01D 2004-12-17

    The UID comment is invalid: It contains raw "Clé PGP" as Latin-1,
not UTF-8. GnuPG escapes the invalid UTF-8 one byte sequence \xe9, fine.
But the following \x20 is perfectly valid alone, is not (and can't be)
part of any UTF-8 sequence. It should be printed as a space.

Bye!	Alain.