Pb with my passphrase

Neil Williams linux at codehelp.co.uk
Tue Jan 25 15:06:12 CET 2005

On Sunday 23 January 2005 3:49 pm, CHALONS Bruno wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I installed OpenPGP on my computer but i don't remenber my passphrase,
> what can I do ?

Did you create a revocation certificate - as you were advised?

If not, you can only delete the key - providing you haven't already sent it to
a keyserver. If it's already on a keyserver, it is now orphaned and joins
many similar keys - there is nothing you can do about that.

> Redo a new KeyID et how to revoke the last one ?

Nobody can revoke that key as the passphrase is required, along with the
secret key itself.

If you haven't sent it to a keyserver, revocation isn't an issue anyway - just
delete it from your keyring. If you create a new key:

1. Create a revocation certificate immediately.
http://www.dcglug.org.uk/linux_doc/startgnupg.html#generate
2. You won't get the same keyid or fingerprint but you can use the same UID:
name, comment and email.

--

Neil Williams