imported smart-card keys

Alex Mauer hawke at hawkesnest.net
Tue Jul 5 22:00:24 CEST 2005

Werner Koch wrote:

>>>From what I can google, I should be able to (re)generate the stub keys
>>
>>by using 'gpg --card-status'.  But, this seems not to work.
>

> I need to see what happens; will get back to you later.

Had a chance to look at this yet?

Also, I found some more .. stuff that strikes me as weird.

My Elgamal encryption key expired over the weekend, so I was playing
around a bit, trying to decide whether to just utilize the smart card
keys I have or generate a new elgamal key.  I don't yet fully trust the
smart card setup to work the way I want, and don't have a reader
everywhere.  But I digress.

I encrypted a (test) file to myself, to see which key it would be using
by default:

$ gpg -v -e -r hawke at hawkesnest.net foo.txt gpg: using PGP trust model
gpg: using subkey F40CACBA instead of primary key 51192FF2
gpg: RSA/AES256 encrypted for: "F40CACBA Alex L. Mauer (Jabber)
<hawke at jabber.hawkesnest.net>"

OK, this makes sense, it's using my smart card key rather than an
expired key.  but then when I go to [try to] decrypt it, which I know
won't work due to not having the card reader installed:

$ gpg foo.txt.gpg
gpg: card reader not available
gpg: encrypted with RSA key, ID 9150664F

Huh?  Yeah, it's encrypted with an RSA key, but from where did it get
9150664f?? It isn't even an RSA key!  It is the key that just expired
though, which may have some bearing.

This is still on the same machine which displays the weird "imported
smart-card keys" problem described in my initial post.

--
Bad - You get pulled over for doing 90 in a school zone and you're drunk
off your ass again at three in the afternoon.