How to check fingerprint without importing?

Michael W. Lucas mwlucas at blackhelicopters.org
Wed Jul 13 13:31:57 CEST 2005

On Tue, Jul 05, 2005 at 05:40:54PM -0700, Penelope Fudd wrote:
> The second (hypothetical) problem is:
>
>   I've just received a GPG key file from an anonymous source, stripped
> of all plaintext.  According to what I've read, I need to import the key
> file before I can display anything about it, but I really don't want to
> do that, for fear of 'discovering' a new security exploit.  (I'm sure
> none of us here can say there are no bugs in any given program, owing to
> the fact that God doesn't use mailing lists AFAIK.)
>
>   How do I print out details of GPG key files (fingerprints, owner, etc)
> without importing them?

I usually import questionable stuff into a different $GPGHOME if I'm
that concerned.

Mind you, there's probably a more elegant way to do this...

==ml

--
Michael W. Lucas	mwlucas at FreeBSD.org, mwlucas at BlackHelicopters.org

"The cloak of anonymity protects me from the nuisance of caring." -Non Sequitur